Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Participating

I hope to keep this honest and updated, but I can't make any promises. It's a rainy day in Modesto, and I can't help but not participate and dwell. My future prospects include deep participation, and with that in mind, I've become a bum. Ironic as it may seem.

I don't know what I'm heading into, and it makes me nervous and excited both at once. I've never blogged in this way before, but hopefully it will become a good way to keep family and friends somewhat updated on my travels..which I haven't started quite yet.

Many people I know have asked me why am I doing this. In return I have to ask why not? In a drowning world, should we not learn to swim? Sometimes I cry selfish tears, and sometimes, when I'm more aware of the world around me, my tears are for the sick, the hungry, the poor. Two years ago, I found myself reading the book "A Thousand Splendid Suns" and feeling like a spoiled ungrateful girl. Sad because I didn't have things I don't necessarily need. And it occurred to me that, not only were there less fortunate people around the world, but I was sitting there, well fed, in a nice home with a bed and warm sheets, and a loving and caring family, aware that there were people without these things and not doing a thing about it. And my unselfish tears were built inside me at that point. They never really went away.

I know this is a new chapter, and I know it'll be hard. But it's exactly the kind of challenge I'm willing to take. And I'm very grateful for this opportunity. There are a few things I need to do..practicalities. I must say my hello's and goodbyes. I must pack my things thoroughly, although I never quite understood "packing light." There's always something I tend to forget..and something I don't really need I tend to bring. I must make sure I fill out my forms, and mostly, I must make my mental preparations. I must open my heart and my mind to what I will soon experience. 10 months of participation. How's that for change Mr. President.

To the ones that care most: 10 months is a long time, but not forever. And this blog is for you.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Way to take matters into your own hands! You're going to have a blast!!! Here's a good quote to keep in mind: "If the future's looking dark, we're the ones who have to shine. If there's no one in control, we're the ones who draw the line. Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. Though we know that time has wings, we're the ones who have to fly!" - Rush

    ReplyDelete
  2. very deep and sentimental. What type of travels are you planning? Based on what you wrote, are you possibly thinking about the Peace Corps? Teaching English on an Indian Reservation-that would be an eye opener since we don't hear anything about them other than the casinos. Youu have a nice view of the sky out side your home. When did you start your blog? I also have a blog on blogspot as well. Check it out. It's postings are pretty random. http://sallysorour.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. butterscotch- thanks a lot for all your support and help. and not to mention...rush. :)

    sally- im actually joining americorps. it's similar to the peace corps but located in the states. although a job with an indian reservation does sound very appealing. thanks for letting me know. i tried to check out your blog but it didnt bring up the page for some reason? it could be my internet.

    ReplyDelete